Wifi indicator LED (was Re: Netbook wifi, wlan0 and inet6 address (F10) )

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Jan 13 14:13:01 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote, On 01/13/2009 03:29 AM:
> On Monday 12 January 2009 18:56:34 Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to get the wifi indicator working on the Acer Aspire
>> One?   I've done a lot lof work with the wifi today, then suddenly, an hour
>> or so ago, I saw the signal bars drop from 4 to 1.  Then I lost the
>> connection.
>>
>> Nothing has changed, in terms of location or additional equipment in the
>> room, and attempting to re-start the connection tells me that it has been
>> disconnected.  I've tried fiddling with that switch again, but there is no
>> way of knowing whether it is active or not.
>
> <sigh> I hate mysteries.  This morning the netbook connected to the wireless
> router at bootup.  I've still no idea what went wrong yesterday, or why I
> couldn't scan for a connection.  It's as though something turns wifi off and
> it can't be turned back one.
>
> Personally I think it's another form of rsibreak :-)
>
> Anne

As we all use computers here, we could all occasionally benefit from an rsi
time out. :}

Assuming you shut the machine down last night after the net stopped working,
_perhaps_ it would be useful keep track of what the room/computer temperature
and uptime is each time it stops working (from a cold boot) ... It could be
that a component is getting hot, or saturated in another way that has a
hysteresis curve.

Did you also shutdown the router last night too?

Have you done anything to see if someone else may be attempting to use/abuse
your router, like look at it's recent IDS logs?

Might try transferring a couple of fedora install DVD isos across it into
/dev/null, or some other throw away storage on the machine, to see if it can
only handle so many bits before needing reset.

Just ideas.
--
Todd Denniston