sanDisk sansa View (16G mp3 & video player) issues

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Jan 13 15:14:00 UTC 2009

Kevin Kempter wrote, On 01/12/2009 06:08 PM:
> Hi all;
>
> I bought a sanDisk sansa view (16G model).  When I plug it into my Fedora 16
> (x86_64) box and do a dmesg I see this:
>
> usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> usb 2-2: configuration #128 chosen from 1 choice
> usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0781, idProduct=74b0
> usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> usb 2-2: Product: Sansa View
> usb 2-2: Manufacturer: SanDisk
> usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 03534453443136478010790e6b00893f00000000
> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
> USB Mass Storage support registered.
> usb-storage: device found at 3
> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> usb-storage: device scan complete
> usb 2-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> usb 2-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 3
> scsi 6:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
>

> Any thoughts on how to correct or should I return it for something else?
>

> Thanks in advance

fully charged battery?
USB hub capable of sustaining the current required to charge the device?
I ask because when I was preparing to put data on a 4GB one using a Dell
windows computer the other day it did something similar ... then I realized
(found that the optical mouse also on that hub did not work anymore) that the
current draw had burned out the power in the hub (in Dell monitor hub).
So I suggest first charging it (with a non computer USB charger) or using a
very powerful USB hub.

--
Todd Denniston