sanDisk sansa View (16G mp3 & video player) issues

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Jan 13 15:54:05 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote, On 01/13/2009 10:36 AM:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>> I ask because when I was preparing to put data on a 4GB one using a Dell
>> windows computer the other day it did something similar ... then I
>> realized (found that the optical mouse also on that hub did not work
>> anymore) that the current draw had burned out the power in the hub (in
>> Dell monitor hub).
>>
> That sounds like a poorly designed hub - the port that is drawing
> too much is supposed to shut down, and leave the rest of the ports
> working.

Come to think of it, I did not power cycle the hub after the problem started
(IIRC it does have power going into it external to USB connection).

I just rebooted the computer and when I realized that the mouse was just
momentarily flashing when it was pluged back into that hub, I moved the mouse
to directly plug into the computer and started waiting for the two sansa's to
charge using the external charger.

the weird thing at the time was that the keyboard continued to work in that
hub, while the mouse and sansa would not.

Thanks for the thought about it shutting down for self protection ... perhaps
I can just power cycle it and get it working for the mouse _and_ keyboard again.
--
Todd Denniston