ipod's (or other mp3 players) and Fedora

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 13 16:18:38 UTC 2009

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Kevin Kempter wrote:
>> Hi All;
>>
>> I have Fedora 10 x86_64 running as my main (only) OS on my laptop I
>> travel with. I'd like to get an ipod or similar device.
>> I've heard a few things about ipod's - can anyone verify if this is true:
>> - that a new ipod has to be 'formatted' on a mac or windows box before
>> use
>> - that the ipod database is somehow hashed so only itunes can write to it
>>
>> Also I'm looking for any suggestions per mp3 players (or ipods) that
>> play nice with linux (Fedora 10) and what tools you'all are using to
>> move your music around.
>>

> Music is one of my passions.  It 'helps' me stay focused and relatively
> sane.  I don't go far without my music collection.
>
> Since 2000, I have been testing and discarding mp3 players.  There just
> aren't any that I, personally, like.  Some have features, some have
> style, but none have both.
>
> REQUIREMENTS:
>
> 1.   Expandable storage.
> 2.   Popular, common, and free formats supported.
> 3.   Unobtrusive to my habits.
>
> SOLUTIONS:
>
> 1. RARE:  There are a few very simple mp3 players built into card
> readers.  There are also a vanishing few that have SD card expansions.
>
> 2.   This one is easier, and many new players can do ogg and others.
> You can even hack an ipod to support open formats, but do you want to?
>
> 3.  This is another very tough one.  I had, for years, smart phones with
> good music players.  Unfortunately, the iPhone is not a good one when it
> comes to a basic music player!  NONE of the Apple products support
> bluetooth stereo headsets.  Sure you can mangle something together with
> a dongle, but come on!
>
> The new smartphones like the G1 and pre have potential, but the pre is
> not expandable (yet).  Plus, the cost is high to swith to a new
> smartphone just to get music.
>
> CURRENT RESEARCH:
>
> A year ago, I got into MIDs and still use the Nokia N810.  However, that
> device is also my primary book reader.  I read 40-100 novels a year.
>
> For my college aged daughter, I bought her a netbook with a large hard
> drive.  She carries that around in her purse for her music player!  Lots
> of opportunity there, and the bluetooth stereo drivers for Linux are
> getting there ...
>
> For myself, I am currently experimenting with large flash drives.  I
> keep a music archive up to date on a 64GB thumb drive via rsync from my
> main server, and carry the flash drive with me.
> As soon as I see a perfect netbook (the HP2134 is at the top of my
> current list)  I will dump the MID category for:
>
> Good netbook with large SSD: (so it can remain 'on' in a case/back pack)
> Bluetooth stereo headset.  (some very good ones out now)
> HSPA/CDMA/XOMM card with a carrier contract that will allow both voice
> and data.
>
> At that point, I will be happy.

> [...]

Good and useful information.  I have a iRiver that with a software
upgrade works as a hard drive.  Plays ogg files but not flac files.

I would recommend that people look a the flac supported players.  My
next device will have to accept SD or micro-SD cards.

I will never purchase a player that requires special software to use.
That is the first sign of problems in Linux.

--
Robin Laing