Encrypted partition backups.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 13 16:40:47 UTC 2009

OK, now it is an option to create encrypted partitions with F10 during
install.  With this, the issue of backups gets changed and I wonder how
people are dealing with it.

I am about to install a system where each users home directory will be
encrypted and mounted on login and unmounted on logout.

Now the question comes to how to make automatic backups of these
encrypted partitions when they are not mounted.  This has to take into
account that the backup needs to be as secure as the original users
directories.

Is there a tool that allows partition backups of only the changes as
with incremental backups?  Do we just have to clone the partition and
make copies of that each time?

It is a question that I have posed to our IT staff and they have not
thought about it either.

--
Robin Laing