Wifi indicator LED - update

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Jan 13 17:18:09 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 15:26:09 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2009 14:13:01 Todd Denniston wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote, On 01/13/2009 03:29 AM:

> > > <sigh> I hate mysteries.  This morning the netbook connected to the
> > > wireless router at bootup.  I've still no idea what went wrong
> > > yesterday, or why I couldn't scan for a connection.  It's as though
> > > something turns wifi off and it can't be turned back one.
> > >
> > > Personally I think it's another form of rsibreak :-)
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > As we all use computers here, we could all occasionally benefit from an
> > rsi time out. :}
> >
> > Assuming you shut the machine down last night after the net stopped
> > working, _perhaps_ it would be useful keep track of what the
> > room/computer temperature and uptime is each time it stops working (from
> > a cold boot) ... It could be that a component is getting hot, or
> > saturated in another way that has a hysteresis curve.
>
> Room temperature is not likely to be a problem - it wouldn't have varied
> more than 1'C all day.  However, I will be keeping an eye on uptime -
> thanks for the reminder about that one.
>
> > Did you also shutdown the router last night too?
>
> No, the router is 24/7, and gets a reboot maybe 6 times/year.
>
> > Have you done anything to see if someone else may be attempting to
> > use/abuse your router, like look at it's recent IDS logs?
>
> The router mails me with reports of unusual activity.  Nothing has shown up
> there, although I've had the routine daily report.  Again, due to physical
> location, this is unlikely to be the problem (and this laptop continued to
> work with the router the whole of the time).
>
> > Might try transferring a couple of fedora install DVD isos across it into
> > /dev/null, or some other throw away storage on the machine, to see if it
> > can only handle so many bits before needing reset.
> >
> > Just ideas.
>
> And all worth considering.  Also, an off-list message suggested to me that
> I should keep an eye on whether it coincided with meal-preparation times,
> due to microwave oven usage.  Again, this laptop has never suffered from
> that, but I haven't ruled it out.
>
> If I find any evidence to even suggest a likely explanation I'll report
> back.

The connection is lost again - at approximately the same time as yesterday.
This time I can say for certain that microwave oven activity is not the cause.

Most of the day I have seen a 90% strength connection.  As 8 hours uptime
approached it suddenly dropped to 14%.  I carried on working, including
downloading and installing an rpm, for about half an hour.  Then I went for my
daily half-hour walk.  When I came back the connection was lost and it could
not connect again.  The symptoms are identical to yesterday.

Using system-config-services I saw that netfs was marked as dead.  That
suggested to me that it should be running, so I started it.  netplugd is
marked as disabled but running, as is network.  To be on the safe side I
restarted both.  I also restarted NetworkManager.  I'd appreciate comments and
guidance on these and any other services that could be implicated.

I am now going to power down the netbook and leave it until after dinner.
I'll power it up again in about 1.5 hours.  If it connects then I will suspect
a component heat problem, although I can feel no heat worth calling from the
case.

Anne