netbook jonesing

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:43:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 19:12 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:59:47 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>>
>> > All this talk about Acer Aspire and EEPro makes me want one. Is one
>> > better than another? Is the only difference in the Acer Aspires whether
>> > it comes with 8GB SSHD, 120 GB HD or 160 GB HD?  Too many models that
>> > seem about the same.
>>
>>       Caveat : If you happen to have unusually large hands, or poor
>> eyesight, or both, be sure to buy only one you have spent some time
>> handling. With trifocal fingers and arthritic eyeballs, the only use I
>> can hope to get out of a 701 is in waiting rooms -- if (big IF) I can get
>> it to boot and connect fast enough. And according to the buzz at http://
>> forum.eeeuser.com/ I am by no means alone in these troubles.
>>
>>       Also, they are evolving hand over fist. If in doubt, wait a few
>> months, maybe another year or so. I wish I had. There are probably a
>> couple out there now that would suit me.
> ----
> already ordered - reviews were positive on the Acer Aspire One keyboard
> and I got one of the 160GB models coming. Apparently the new ones with
> the 160 GB HD also have a '6 cell' battery whereas the older 120 GB had
> a '3 cell' battery and I'm gathering this means better battery life.

I bought an Acer Aspire about a month ago with the 160 GB HD and the '6 cell'
battery, which seems to be the main difference among different units.
It's very light.
Useful for reading docs and browsing the net. Small keyboard though, no biggie.
Very good for travel. I plug it in to an external LCD and works fine.
Kids have very
good for this at school.

~af