Gnome sound events volume too low

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jan 13 23:23:01 UTC 2009

David Timms writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> For some reason, the volume at which all gnome sound events (login
>> sound, etc) became minimal. I can barely hear them. All other audio
>> (flash video, etc) plays back at normal volume, only gnome sound events
>> are affected.
>>
>> I checked all the mixer settings already -- master volume control is at
>> 100%. All playback controls -- PCM, Front, etc… are also at 100%.
> Did you check Pulseaudio Volume Control ?

What Pulseaudio Volume Control? The only volume control knobs I have is the
volume control applet on the taskbar. And, as I said, all of the volume
control settings that are at 100%.

> Is Playback|System Sounds turned up, and not muted ?
> What about the Output Devices channel ?

Playback/System sounds are enabled. As I said, I can hear the system sounds,
but only at about 5% volume. All other application audio -- flash video,
mplayer, etc, comes in at full volume.

I don't have anything in the desktop menu labeled 'Pulseaudio Volume
Control', only the gnome volume control, in the Hardware menu.