Default route not set on bootup

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 00:29:31 UTC 2009

I posted this problem a couple of weeks ago. I did not get a solution,
so I'm trying again.

I installed Fedora 10 on my E machines laptop. Got the Broadcom wireless
network working. For the first time, I am letting Network Manager manage
the network. In Network Manager, I disabled the wired network and
enabled the wireless network.

The problem: on bootup, the default route is not set. I confirm this
with the 'netstat -nr' command.

Here's the ground I've covered.
- The is not the bug where Network Manager sets the Netmask to the
gateway IP address. I noticed that and corrected it during the initial
installation. I can't say the issue isn't related, but I caught that error.
- I have the "GATEWAY=192.168.1.1" directive set in both the
/etc/sysconfig/network file and the ifcfg-wlan0 file.
- If I reset the interface ('ifdown wlan0', 'ifup wlan0') or reset the
network ('service network restart'), the default route gets set.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson