No system-config-display, so what now?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 14 01:15:28 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

> I expect it's because having an xorg.conf is now discouraged, but as often
> happens, many of us have hardware that can't really do without it.  I'm sure
> the day is coming - but it's not here yet :-)

We will get there faster, if people report bugs when autoconfiguration
does not work. It doesn't yet on systems where the hardware reports it
incorrectly, returns junk data or no data at all for instance but we can
still make it work if we knew the hardware details. In a report, you can
file the output of lspci, /var/log/Xorg.log without a custom xorg.conf
and any further information you want to provide.

system-config-display is a bandaid from the time when XFree86 was
stagnating badly but now that Xorg is going rapid development, it makes
sense to fix the underlying issues instead.

Rahul