No system-config-display, so what now?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Jan 14 01:27:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:45:28 +0530
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> system-config-display is a bandaid from the time when XFree86 was
> stagnating badly but now that Xorg is going rapid development, it makes
> sense to fix the underlying issues instead.

There are some underlying issues that are a matter of user preference
which couldn't possibly be automated - I hope something comes down the
pike to allow those to be configured easily instead of constantly making
it hard and hard to configure them as has been the current direction.

Some examples:

I use a trackball and want to configure one of the buttons as
draglock (so I don't need three hands to drag things :-).

People with multiple monitors need to be able to say if they
want separate desktops, or one big virtual desktop (and if
a big virtual one, how are the monitors physically arranged).