Dependencies for fglrx drivers

Julius Smith julius.smith at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 02:39:46 UTC 2009

In case it's relevant, I got a Radeon HD 4850 working on F10 x86_64 by
FIRST booting into single-user mode and then exiting to runlevel 5.  I
don't have to do this two-stage boot using the vesa driver, but I do
with the fglrx driver.  My display is 1920x1200 60Hz (flat panel LCD)
- Julius

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM, suvayu ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble with getting F10 (x86_64) to boot with my Radeon
> HD4870. I will start at the beginning.
>
> While installing from the DVD (x86_64), graphical installation was not
> possible with my HD4870. Even with vga=ask and choosing the proper
> resolution didn't help. So I did a text install, and tried to install
> the fglrx rpms from RPMFusion from command line. Even after trying to
> figure out the dependencies (my computer is not connected to the
> Internet, hence have to do this manually) and having all the relevant
> packages in the directory, rpm complains something like this,

> libstdc++.so.5
> libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2)
> libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2)
> libstdc++.so.5()(64bit)
> libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2)(64bit)
> libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2)(64bit)
>
> I checked my system, I have the 64 bit libraries under /usr/lib64
> however they are version 6 rather than 5. I am guessing I would need
> the 32 bit libraries too. But shouldn't having the libraries for
> libstdc++6 be enough? Or do I need to downgrade to 5?
>
> Right now I am stuck at runlevel 3 (no GUI, even startx from command
> line gives me a white screen). Thanks in advance for any insight.
>
> --
> Suvayu

> --

"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind