Desktop Background Enhancements in F10

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Jan 14 15:47:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 11:10 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 07:43:42 -0700
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for documentation on how to set up my desktop background in
> > F10 to change automatically, usually based on the time of day, but
> > possibly under other conditions as well. I know this has to be possible
> > to do, but can't find anything on it anywhere.
>
> I'm not sure about stand-alone documentation, but you can see an example of how
> to do this in your /usr/share/backgrounds/solar directory.  The solar.xml file
> looks like it's reasonably well documented internally.

OK - I think I have something basic working, but I still don't know if
what I have done is correct. The example file does provide some clues,
but documentation around this would be really great to have.

>From digging around, it seems this feature was originally developed in
F8 and sent upstream to the Gnome folks, who then included it in version
2.24. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be anything in the Gnome
documentation library on-line about it, let alone how to use it.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will chime in and
enlighten us.

Cheers,

Chris

--