experiences with preupgrade?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 15 04:03:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:45:59 -0800 (PST)
Michael Hannon wrote:

> Greetings.  At work we're attemtping to upgrade a bunch of Fedora 8
> (i386) systems to Fedora 10, using the preupgrade utility.
>
> We've tried this on five or six systems now.  In a couple of cases it
> has been laughably easy to upgrade this way.  But in the majority of
> cases the procedure fails completely.

Both of the things that you describe (GRUB prompt or endlessly
repeating words) have happened to me "more often than not" when doing a
preupgrade to F10. However, it's not a case of the procedure failing completely
as you state here.  Rather, you just have to reinitialize grub.

The fix  is very simple.

Boot off of the installer disk again, select "rescue" from the menu.

After you get to a prompt type this:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
exit
exit

That will reboot your computer again. Remove your installer disk and
everything will boot up normally.