No system-config-display, so what now?

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:55:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org
> wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> Kevin Kofler wrote:

>>> That's what X -configure is for.
>>>

>> If you have to run X -configure (what exactly do you mean by this?)
>>

> It is a command.
>
>  then it is not automatic.
>>

> Correct. You do it only when you need to.
>
>  But my only point is that I don't understand the philosophy
>> behind doing away with xorg.conf ,
>> and then saying, "Well, you might need it,
>> in which case there are various (unspecified) progams you can run."
>>
>> Surely it would be simpler just to write xorg.conf in all cases?
>>

> It is not. You cannot rely on a static xorg.conf since the hardware can be
> switched (think new monitor on a desktop for instance) and writing it
> everytime slows down your display startup and doesn't work well in other
> instances (think LTSP). In general, you should avoid writes unless
> absolutely necessary since a hard disk is usually the slowest part of your
> system.

Sorry, Rahul

but in the past, when a new hardware was installed, the xorg.conf was
renamed,
and a new one was created automatically. Now, if you happen to have an
xorg.conf,
and change the hardware, X simply does not start, because it tries to use
the wrong xorg.conf.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ