jEdit on F10?

Raymond C. Rodgers sinful622 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 20:20:52 UTC 2009

Alan Evans wrote:
> Has anyone successfully installed jEdit on Fedora 10? How did you do it?
>
> Honestly, I've never used it myself. Although it looks to be a very
> capable editor. Most of the developers at my company just switched to
> it (Windows users, all), so I thought it would be prudent to test it
> out myself.
>
> I just can't see a relatively painless way to install it.

I just used the Java-based installer from their site to install. I've
been using it for about four years now, and I do like it for the most
part, though there seems to be a problem between F10 and the default
font monospaced that it uses: certain characters, such as the underscore
and any character that sits partially on or below the "line" don't get
rendered properly no matter what anti-aliasing, subpixel precision and
other settings I've tried. Ultimately, I had to switch to another
monospaced font, and the issue went away.

Be sure to install the ftp plug-in if you need to access files on a
remote server via ftp or sftp. One other thing, it doesn't support
Gnome's virtual file system, so if you use "Connect to Server" to mount
remote file systems, it won't see them. However, if you mount them
through fstab or some other means, they seem to work fine.

Raymond