eth0 not working - fine in Windows

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Jan 16 00:55:58 UTC 2009

Chris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of days ago whilst running F10, a friend was inserting a USB
> stick and the physical connection on the front panel of my PC broke.
> The machine immediately powered off. When I booted again, everything
> seemed fine except that the network connection had stopped working.
> When I try "service network start", it says it's unable to determine
> IP information - check cable.
>
> If I boot into Windows it works fine. I'm doubtful that it's a
> hardware problem because (a) it works in Windows, and (b) the problem
> USB connector is on the front panel and connected via a lead, i.e.
> it's not directly attached to the motherboard.
>
> Any ideas on where to start investigating?

Look at your system log files:  /var/log/messages
Look around the time of your system boot up, and look for USB messages
and networking messages, particularly anything with "eth" in it.
Any/all could help you track down what's wrong

Can you see your ethernet card with "lspci"?

What does "ifconfig -a" tell you?

Has your /etc/modprobe.conf been modified recently?

Do you have the appropriate modules loaded?  "lsmod"

> As a side question, when I look in system-config-network, I've got a
> device called pan0. I don't recall it being there, but it may have
> been there and I just didn't notice it. I'm not using NetworkManager
> as I've found it can just cause problems. Maybe I could give it a go
> anyway but I suspect the problem is deeper than that.

I don;t know what pan0 is (google for it), but if you hardware has
changed names, that could very well be your problem.  The solution would
be "how do I fix it?".

> Thanks, Chris.

Good Luck!

--