KVM Switch Suggestions -- Are The Ebay Cheapies Okay?

The_Eye_In_The_Sky syiwabhairawa at yahoo.com.sg
Fri Jan 16 03:41:05 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Are the no-name-brand, two-port, USB 2.0 PS2 KVM switch boxes with two
> cables which sell for $14.99 and free shipping on EBay any good? Here is
> an example: item 140294824343 from seller insidecomputer. Recent
> discussions (from 2007) suggest IOGear and Trendnet switches as good
> brands. If I can get a cheap switch that works, though, I'm willing to

That cheapo does not have the VGA connectivity fully cabled pin to pin,
thus VESA info from the monitor is not transmitted back to the VGA
controller.

You will go back to oldies time when you need to define X server
manually, and that is really pain in the *ss.

--
"Man is a slave to money which, however, is nobody's slave."

Bhishma to Yudhisthira at Kurukshetra