shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 16 06:14:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 19:38 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 18:08:55 Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:55:05AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > Netbook has arrived (yeah!)
> > >
> > > If I boot F10 Live CD, does it have necessary parted/gparted to shrink
> > > the NTFS partition to make room for F10 or do I have to use like a
> > > gparted-live CD for that?
> >
> > No need for a separate parted/gparted with Fedora.  The installer has
> > a built-in resizing spinner for NTFS file systems, built on the same
> > modern NTFS utilities, so you can just resize it down and continue
> > partitioning.  The resizing and partition writing gets done after
> > you've set things up the way you like.
>
> I'm not saying anything against gparted or any other such tool, but my natural
> caution says use a windows tool to do the windows bit and a linux tool to do
> the linux stuff.  That method has never let me down :-)
----
just some feedback here...

Used live-cd installer (I presume this is anaconda) to resize the NTFS
system on my new Acer Aspire One and it went fine and Windows is running
fine too. It did however insist on running chkdsk on the first boot
after resizing.

It was a fairly drastic cut down in size too. It went from like 147 Gb
(there obviously is a VFAT restore partition on this system) down to 32
Gb.

Craig