Scripting - SMS when there is a login

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Fri Jan 16 11:16:44 UTC 2009

Leon Vergottini wrote:
> My manager tasked me with writing a script that will SMS a
> notification when someone logs in to our Linux server.  The
> requirements are
> 1.  Capture any login to the server
You have two ways of doing this with pam or with logfiles. You could use
pam_preprofile module or write your own pam module if using pam. For log
files look for some packages parsing logfiles or do your own script to
do it.
> 2.  Create a csv file
> 3.  Copy the csv file to a Windows SMS server
>
> I am really streched here because I have no knowlegde of scripting
> whatsoever.  I have Googling the whole day without getting something
> definitefly.
Well, you need to do some scripting to get this done. Either start
learning or get someone to do it for you. (Although that someone might
want money for it) For scripting the things you need will probably be
most easy with Perl or Python, but it's also possible to do it with
shell script and using linux commadline utilities like sed and so on.

So if you are up to the task just find some books on the scripting
languages and google for pam that pam module or howto write pam module.

Veli-Pekka