hal rules (was: How do I allow automatic non root access to my non standard USB device ?)

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jan 16 14:59:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:39:36 -0500
Todd Denniston wrote:

> suggestion: find the udev|hal rules for allowing the console logged in user to
> use the sound card, and mimic them for your device.

I always wonder about how to fiddle hal rules. I have found hal rules
in the past I wanted to change (like putting different permissions
on the device file it creates), but I know if I change the actual
rule file, then the next time there is a hal update that file
will get updated and my changes will disappear.

Is there some magic way to properly define hal rules that override
existing rules in the installed system files?

I usually wind up huddled in a corner in tears when I try to understand
this stuff :-).