No login screen after reboot in Fedora 10

abhishek rane abhishekrane at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 16:08:13 UTC 2009

Fedora 10 was running fine on my friend's laptop.Today when I rebooted the
bootloader and bootsplash everything shows up but there is no login screen
only a black screen with a blinking cursor.So I went to the terminal and
typed startx which gave me errors like
(EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match the server's version (5)
(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match the server's version (5)
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module requirement mismatch,0)

Before that he had installed synaptics and after reboot the whole thing
happened.Even doing system-config-display --reconfig doesn't help.The
problem is worse because I can't even copy and paste logs here because it
has no connection or X server.
I also tried X -ignoreABI command but that makes the whole thing freeze.The
graphic card is intel.Well as a bail out option I'm thinking of a format but
that would be very painful.
Thanks
--
Abhishek Rane