how to get username use another home directory

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 17:40:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

Just installed Fedora from scratch on a machine using the XFCE spin.

I usually keep the userspace in another partition, /usr/local (let us say /usr/local/trotter. Previously, I would add skip the create user step and log in as root and then create user with directory using system-config-users. However, this is apparently no longer allowed, and I am required to create an user. How do I get this user to have its "home" in /usr/local/trotter? I guess one way out is to create a fake user and then go in, use system-config-users and then delete the fake user. Is there a more elegant way?

Many thanks and best wishes,
Trotter