F10 Installation: Unable use Add/remove packages or Yum [SOLVED]

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Jan 16 18:15:50 UTC 2009

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>>
>>> F-10 Repository:
>>> Fedora 10 - i386
>>> Fedora 10 - Updates
>>>
>>> 1. Add/Remove Software:
>>> No results were found.
>>> Try entering a package name in the search bar.
>>>
>>> 2. Yum update
>>> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
>>> Could not retrieve mirror list
>>> http://mirros.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-10&arch=i386
>>> error was
>>> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
>>> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
>>> repository: fedora,
>>> Please verify its path and try again.
>>>
>>> What do I need to do to fix this, please?
>> You have a typo in the URL above:
>>
>> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-10&arch=i386
>> would be correct (mirrors.fedoraproject.org instead of
>> mirros.fedoraproject.org)
>>
>> Ralf
>>
> Yes, I mis-typed it by hand - the repos are correct as you have stated.
>
> I am still not able to access the Internet which is why I think it is
> failing
> to begin with.  I am trying to figure out exactly what is preventing F10
> from reaching my default router, (Internet) at this point.

I have checked, and successfully pinged, yahoo.com from the Terminal window.
This means: ping yahoo.com was successfully returning timing results,
also means
that yahoo.com was successfully DNS resolved into an IP address.

Since Firefox failed to work using the FQDN in the URL, I suspected that
the DNS
resolver was not resolving in this application, so,  I obtained the IP
address of
fedoraproject.org via nslookup, and placed the IP address into the
Firefox URL,
and it worked.

So, I checked /etc/resolv.conf and discovered, that there was a DNS IP
address
that was not working (ie, the DNS system was returning bad results, so I
removed
it), now, at this point, yum is now working. HooBoy.

Sorry for posting all of this, as it turns out, it was my fault, not F10.

Dan