hal rules (was: How do I allow automatic non root access to my non standard USB device ?)

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 19:02:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 09:59 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:39:36 -0500
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>
> > suggestion: find the udev|hal rules for allowing the console logged in user to
> > use the sound card, and mimic them for your device.
>
> I always wonder about how to fiddle hal rules. I have found hal rules
> in the past I wanted to change (like putting different permissions
> on the device file it creates), but I know if I change the actual
> rule file, then the next time there is a hal update that file
> will get updated and my changes will disappear.
>
> Is there some magic way to properly define hal rules that override
> existing rules in the installed system files?
>
> I usually wind up huddled in a corner in tears when I try to understand
> this stuff :-).

It used to be that you edited or created a new rule
in /etc/udev/rules.d.

The lower the number the earlier in the process the rule got looked at.

However, it appears to me that things have changed.  I no longer see
explicit USB rules in that directory and the hal.rules file has this:

# pass all events to the HAL daemon
RUN+="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"

I set this device up a couple years ago and now I don't remember how.
Or things have changed.