KVM Switch Suggestions -- Are The Ebay Cheapies Okay?

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri Jan 16 20:43:28 UTC 2009

On Fri January 16 2009, Beartooth wrote:
> > Are the no-name-brand, two-port, USB 2.0 PS2 KVM switch boxes with two
> > cables which sell for $14.99 and free shipping on EBay any good? [...]
>
>         Here's another possibility. An outfir called MiniView (probably
> generic Chinese, given where I got it) makes a model G-CSIO4U, which I've
> had good luck with. It's USB, and has two extra USB ports on the back.
>
>         Those ports are supposed to handle anything. They do all right
> with a printer; but if I want to use my external CD/DVD RW drive with a
> particular machine, I plug it directly into that machine, not through the
> switch.

I don't remember how much I paid for it, not MUCH, but I have one of those
IoGear KVMs, 2-port job, and I run it on my 2 test boxes all the time,
running Red Hat, Ubuntu, windows server... never had a problem. One box was a
Fry's special, the other is a Dell, older desktop.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800