HOWTO: Use KDE 3 from F8 on F10

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 16 23:31:27 UTC 2009

> Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> > Not even I've recompiled its src.rpm. Just satisfied dependencies.
>
> That's one of the issues. To make this work in a somehow reasonable way, you
> have to rebuild KDE 3 against the current libs, not rebuild old libs to run
> the old packages.
>
> Another big issue is that you have to manually downgrade the packages and
> then exclude the KDE packages from updating because the ones in the repo
> have a higher EVR.
>
> And of course such a solution cannot reside in Fedora because the packages
> have conflicting names, conflicting files etc. with KDE 4. So
> what's "perhaps impossible" is making a solution which would be acceptable
> for inclusion in Fedora, not a crude hack like yours. Not that I think that
> would be useful or helpful anyway: at some point you have to switch. I'm
> running KDE 4 exclusively. No KDE 3, no GNOME, no Winblow$.
----
you guys are coming from 2 different perspectives...

The thing that isn't being appreciated here is why we all use Linux in
the first place...precisely because Roberto can do this easily enough.

There is no perfect world in computing, there is only what was, what is
and what will be. While I appreciate that Roberto is looking backwards
for what he wants, Kevin is looking forward for what he wants and most
of the rest of us want something that just works.

The great thing about Fedora is that it does keep pushing the envelope
forward but the packaging possibilities are there so someone can do
something like Roberto and replace newer packages with older packages
and or vice versa.

Craig