F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Jan 17 23:41:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, January 18, 2009 12:43 am, Craig White wrote:

> grub geometry is about physical hard drives identified in a numerical
> order... there's no reason for grub to know anything about a swap partition

Craig,

thanks for your explanation. For the record, I have tried adding the
noresume and scsi_mod.scan=sync arguments to the kernel and nothing
changed. Now wrt to this:

> You will need some other method to boot the computer
> (CD/DVD/USB disk/key) in order to try to repair your
> /dev/sda3 which is your / filesystem.

for reasons really irrelevant here, this is more complicated for me than
taking the drive off, put it into an external hd case, connect it to my
linux laptop and work from there. Sorry, I forgot to tell I have another
linux box available. What should I do from there, however, to fix sda3?
just run fsck (with which parameters?), reformat the swap or something
else?

> Personally, I would... just wipe the hard drive and
> reinstall as it suggests that you have larger issues
> on that hard drive.

what kind of issues are you thinking about? "soft" ones, that is corrupted
partitions, or something physical?

TIA,
M.