F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Jan 17 23:51:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, January 18, 2009 12:57 am, Roger Heflin wrote:

> The base problem is the new MB likely has a *different* sata device
> controlling the drives...
> The typical fix is to boot a rescue, figure out from the rescue what
> driver is needed and update modprobe.conf and rebuilt the initial ram
> disk with that driver, and try again.?

As I already answered to Craig, for reasons not worth discussing here, it
would be much easier for me to connect the drive to my (other distro)
linux laptop and work from there, only using the mb datasheet to figure
out which modules are needed. Is this possible?
How should I proceed, exactly

> You won't be able to fix it through grub, you may be able to change MB
> settings and change drivers needed for the disk (often sata ports can
> do either IDE or ahci

in the bios I can choose among sata, raid and ahci. I didn't try raid
because I never used it and there's only one drive anyway, but tried ahci
and nothing changes.

M.

--
Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Software:
http://digifreedom.net