F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 18 00:08:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 00:41 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sun, January 18, 2009 12:43 am, Craig White wrote:
>
> > grub geometry is about physical hard drives identified in a numerical
> > order... there's no reason for grub to know anything about a swap partition
>
> Craig,
>
> thanks for your explanation. For the record, I have tried adding the
> noresume and scsi_mod.scan=sync arguments to the kernel and nothing
> changed. Now wrt to this:
>
> > You will need some other method to boot the computer
> > (CD/DVD/USB disk/key) in order to try to repair your
> > /dev/sda3 which is your / filesystem.
>
> for reasons really irrelevant here, this is more complicated for me than
> taking the drive off, put it into an external hd case, connect it to my
> linux laptop and work from there. Sorry, I forgot to tell I have another
> linux box available. What should I do from there, however, to fix sda3?
> just run fsck (with which parameters?), reformat the swap or something
> else?
>
> > Personally, I would... just wipe the hard drive and
> > reinstall as it suggests that you have larger issues
> > on that hard drive.
>
> what kind of issues are you thinking about? "soft" ones, that is corrupted
> partitions, or something physical?
----
how would I know?

I would think that it would be easier to create a 'USB Pen drive' with a
live cd on your laptop and boot from that but I still think that you
will need to concentrate on file recovery if there are any files that
you need off that hard drive.

Long story short...if the / doesn't at least mount read-only, you have
no chance to repair anything in order to get it to boot up unless/until
you find another way to boot that system or as you say, put the drive
into an external case and connect it to another computer. All of the
various boot parameters you are tossing at grub booting are just a waste
of time.

Obviously if you have the hard drive connected to another booted system
or can boot via a USB pen drive, you can try to repair the unmounted
filesystems (/dev/hda1, /dev/hda3, /dev/hda5) via e2fsck program. The
swap partition is the least of your concerns at this point.

Craig