How to find out where grub is installed?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 18 01:10:48 UTC 2009

Andras Simon wrote:
> On 1/18/09, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> When you are using more then one copy of Grub, you normally install
>> the primary copy stage 1 in the MBR. You add chainload commands as
>> menu entries to load the other Grub installations. The stage 1 for
>> those installations are normally installed on the boot record of the
>> /boot partition that has the files for that copy of Grub.
>
> The question is, how do I get to this blessed state... I'm looking at
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/ch-bootloader.html#sn-bootloader-config-change
> and
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-bootloader-others.html
>
> and it's not quite clear how does one install grub both in the already
> and the newly installed Fedora's /boot partition. My optimistic
> reading of the second link above is that I'll end up with a newly
> installed (in MBR) grub that will be configured to be able to boot the
> old Fedora. Not as nice as the one grub per Fedora version plus one
> that can chainload these.
>
> I'm also looking at grub's documentation, but the relevant chapter
> (Installing GRUB using grub-install) is pretty scary.
>
> Andras

I forget the exact wording, but the installer has an option for
where to install Grub. If you are using a separate /boot partition
for this install, tell it to install Grub there. If not, tell it to
install Grub on the / partition. (This is controlling where the
stage 1 loader is installed.)

If you did not install Grub, then you can run grub-install and
specify the "install_device" as the /boot or root partition. For
example:

grub-install /dev/sda5

Mikkel