NetworkManager overwriting resolv.conf

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 17:12:34 UTC 2009

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> The only solution I have found so far is to:
> 1) properly re-create /etc/resolv.conf to what it should be
> 2) set the immutable flag on it (chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf)
3) just add the following options to
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-X (the name of your connection)
PEERDNS=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
If you for instance want eth0 not controlled by NetworkManager (because
it is a wired connection with a fixed IP) and wlan0 with NetworkManager,
change the second option to yes.
Please note, that your DNS settings /etc/resolv.conf will never change
now unless you manually change it, also when NetworkManger takes control.