life without system-config-display

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 18 18:02:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 20:16 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > kcmshell ksynaptics says...
> >
> > Shared Memory is not accessible.
> >
> > Please add the option 'SHMConfig "on"' into the touchpad section
> > of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >
> > and of course, there isn't any xorg.conf file - ignoring that, it says
> > 'Using Driver' "none" - which of course is why my touchpad isn't
> > happening.
> >
> > do I have to insmod/modprobe something?
>
> Create an /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-synaptics.fdi with the following contents:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>    <device>
>        <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
>            <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"
> type="string">true</merge>
>        </match>
>    </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> Using xorg.conf for input configuration is obsolete and should no longer be
> done.
>
> Be warned that SHMConfig is insecure (that's why it's disabled by default).
----
probably something for bugzilla but running kcmshell ksynaptics now
reports to terminal...
$ kcmshell ksynaptics
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
kbuildsycoca running...
getInstance(pad.cpp:16)  --- waiting for lock...
Pad(pad.cpp:45)  --- created singleton
registerParameters(pad.cpp:489)  --- registration done!
init(pad.cpp:494)        --- this version of libsynaptics supports the
following driver
versions:
init(pad.cpp:499)        ---  ---
0.14.4
init(pad.cpp:499)        ---  ---
0.14.5
init(pad.cpp:499)        ---  ---
0.14.6
init(pad.cpp:501)        --- initializing fitting driver
segment...
detectDriverVersion(pad.cpp:150)         --- detecting driver
version...
driverStr(pad.cpp:193)   ---
driverStr
intVerToStrVer(pad.cpp:96)       ---
intVerToStrVer
detectDriverVersion(pad.cpp:180)         --- detected driver version
0.15.2
driverVersion(pad.cpp:115)       ---
driverVersion
driverVersion(pad.cpp:115)       ---
driverVersion
init(pad.cpp:545)        --- driver is too recent, please downgrade
driver or update
libsynaptics!
getInstance(pad.cpp:20)  --- ...unlocking
done!
libraryStr(pad.cpp:199)  ---
libraryStr
driverKind(pad.cpp:132)  ---
driverKind
driverStr(pad.cpp:193)   --- driverStr
intVerToStrVer(pad.cpp:96)       --- intVerToStrVer
hasShm(pad.cpp:144)      --- hasShm
hasShm(pad.cpp:144)      --- hasShm
hasDriver(pad.cpp:138)   --- hasDriver
hasDriver(pad.cpp:138)   --- hasDriver
Launched ok, pid = 3180
hasParam(pad.cpp:256)    --- hasParam
intVerToStrVer(pad.cpp:96)       --- intVerToStrVer
intVerToStrVer(pad.cpp:96)       --- intVerToStrVer
hasParam(pad.cpp:256)    --- hasParam
intVerToStrVer(pad.cpp:96)       --- intVerToStrVer
intVerToStrVer(pad.cpp:96)       --- intVerToStrVer
hasDriver(pad.cpp:138)   --- hasDriver
~Pad(pad.cpp:36)         --- detach driver
~Pad(pad.cpp:39)         --- deleted singleton
[craig at aspire-one ~]$ ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid
= 3177, errno = 11

and in a dialog - it just says that no driver was found and is pretty
much worthless to me at this point.

Craig