f9 cups: can't delete printer - URI file://dev/null

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sun Jan 18 23:36:05 UTC 2009

sean darcy wrote:
> For some reason a number of my printers have Device URI: file://dev/null.
>
> I can't delete them. I tried System-> Admin -> Printing. I also tried
> from the CUPS interface :631.
>
> I looked around for the cups config file that has these printers, but
> couldn't find them.
>
> And, of course, they have similar names to the regular printers ( in
> fact, the best names ) since the new queues were set up later. This
> generates lots of calls wanting to know why the printer doesn't work.
>
> sean

I can't answer your question other than vague suppositions about roles and authority and permissions.
But the first thing that came to my mind while reading your post was:
Has your system been cracked?  This sounds like something a script kiddie would do for a joke.

Or are you unpopular with any of your fellow admins? ;-)