OT: help with text file?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Jan 19 00:28:44 UTC 2009

Dave Stevens wrote:
>> No, because .* is greedy.  The .* will consume all but the very last
>> non-numeric character (including numeric chars before the last
>> non-numeric), then [^0-9] will consume the last non-numeric char.
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>
> ok, ok I give up! I can now see I ought to have posted a data sample,
> herewith:

Yes, you should have, but...

> so this is a SSL logfile, I only wanted the number at the end of the line. AWK
> was the first post that did it, all the others produced empty output files.
> I've got it now.

My command:

grep -oE [0-9]+$ foo.txt>new_file.txt

works exactly as I would expect on my system (provided there's no
perversely named 3+$ file in the current directory; if there is, quote
the regex).  It produces the same result as the awk.  Input and output
attached.

Matt Flaschen