vnc server problem

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Jan 19 04:49:43 UTC 2009

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:27:21 -0500
> Mail Lists wrote:
>
>>   You are right ... I am silly! Anyway, the 'native display .. :0' is
>> what i meant .. hope tis clear now.
>
> Ok... now why would you need or want to do that?
>
> I've never actually tried display 0.  On one of my machines, this is the
> relevant line in /etc/vncservers:
>
> VNCSERVERS="1:frankcox"
>
> and it works fine.

You're taking about 2 different implementations of VNC here.  The server
running on :0 gives control of the remote computers visual X display.
This is RealVNC.  It is embedded in the user's Xserver running on the
system console monitor.  This is the way vnc works on Windows computers.

The :1 display is purely a networked display and is not running on a
real monitor.  This is just VNC.

I have used both in the past on the same computer (neither one is
dependent on the other to work).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com