Question for our users

jack wallen jlwallen at monkeypantz.net
Mon Jan 19 16:06:53 UTC 2009

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Hello Fedora Users!  I was wondering if everyone wouldn't mind answering
> the following questions for me to the list.
>
> What is Fedora (the operating system)?

Fedora is a distribution of Linux that is used by Red Hat as a testing
ground to prove and test software for its flagship Red Hat Enterprise
Linux. Red Hat was, at one point, a free, open source distribution until
the model was changed and now Red Hat is a purchased, enterprise-level
distribution of Linux. Fedora, in essence, has taken the place of the
free version of Red Hat.
> Who uses Fedora?

Anyone accustomed to the RPM package manager and who cut their teeth on
Red Hat.
> Who should use Fedora?

New users should avoid Fedora unless they want to be forced to learn the
ins and outs of solving Linux issues.

--
\||/  jack wallen, jr
 00   blogs.techrepublic.com/opensource