How to update from rpm 4.4 to rpm 5.0

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 04:00:57 UTC 2009

I downloaded all the rpm 5.0 packages, and I tried to use
yum update \
rpm-perl-5.0-0.2.0.fc7.rf.x86_64.rpm \
rpm-libs-5.0-0.2.0.fc7.rf.x86_64.rpm \
rpm-build-5.0-0.2.0.fc7.rf.x86_64.rpm \
rpm-5.0-0.2.0.fc7.rf.x86_64.rpm \
rpm-python-5.0-0.2.0.fc7.rf.x86_64.rpm

but yum dies with dependency issues.

I think yum is sort of like the lynchpin, updating it seems to be very
problematic.

If you read my previous reply to Kevin Fenzi, you will see why I even tried
to go with rpm 5.0.
Aaaaaaaargh!!