Question for our users

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 20 10:06:44 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 03:23 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> No, I was referring to deploying Fedora in "office-like situation",
>> i.e. to be used by "non-technical" people, who are using not much more
>> than "text processor, spreadsheet, internet browser, email, scanner,
>> printer, fax".
>>
>> For them, an OS and the SW they are using are supposed to "just work
>> out of the box". They will throw away Fedora at the very moment,
>> they'll be confronted with SELinux alerts or package-kits update
>> alerts or when they experience the poor shape of certain key
>> components in Fedora currently are in.
>
> Funny how NONE of them do the same when it comes to Windows

Right, Windows has similar issues, ... nagging ordinary users with
popups they are not supposed/not knowledgeable to process is a very
questionable design.

It's appropriate for "single-user/single-seat" "personal" setups, but
not for "office"/"production" environment desktop and
networked/centrally adminstrated installations.

Ralf