Package Manager Denies Permission to Install

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 20 18:21:55 UTC 2009

From: Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>

 >I don't think you need to patch gnome-packagekit, just fixing PolicyKit
would do it. You'll still get the nag-dialog, but that's still part of
the design.

 > > I wish this kind of stupid arbitrary restrictions just got removed.

 >It's up to David upstream to make that call, not me.

And that would be David WHO, exactly? And what is his email address?
Because I, for one, am really tired of this sort of irritant.

It does not stop me from doing what I want to do. It just makes it more
difficult and time-consuming. It does not actually enhance security in
any meaningful way. And it disrespects me by implying that I effectively
do not have the brains to come in out of the rain. And it disrespects
every person who wrote the GUI code which you implicitly claim is insecure.

Geoff