Package Manager Denies Permission to Install

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 20 18:47:28 UTC 2009

From: Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com>
 >> Dickhead wrote
 > > Logging in as root is like walking around with a loaded shotgun in
your
 > > belt with no safety latch. You can't install packages as the root user
 > > as it's simply not secure. Just use a normal user login.

 > > It's called PackageKit, and it's not insane. If you're running gtk+ as
 > > root, you're already insecure.
 > >
 > > Richard.

 >Regardless of the security rant, the default settings for yum should
 >have enabled the Everything repository. Just use yum  to install the
 >package. As a bonus yum will also add any dependencies you might have
 >missed. Add/Remove Software from the GUI should also be able to do the
 >same.

Thank you Kam. I have used 'Everything' repo for some years. In this
case, I was not at a usual repo, but (iirc) at sourceforge and wanted to
install an rpm.

And Dick. You are not being helpful. Please stop being a dickhead. I am
a big boy. I happen to know that I am playing in the deep end of the
pool. I do not need dickheads telling me I have to wear inflatable
arm-rings to swim in the deep end.

Who is a confirmed apostate from 'root is the root of all evil'
religion. Or maybe that should be an excommunicate from the religion.

Geoff