eth0 not working - fine in Windows

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jan 20 19:35:59 UTC 2009

Chris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of days ago whilst running F10, a friend was inserting a USB
> stick and the physical connection on the front panel of my PC broke.
> The machine immediately powered off. When I booted again, everything
> seemed fine except that the network connection had stopped working.
> When I try "service network start", it says it's unable to determine
> IP information - check cable.
>
> If I boot into Windows it works fine. I'm doubtful that it's a
> hardware problem because (a) it works in Windows, and (b) the problem
> USB connector is on the front panel and connected via a lead, i.e.
> it's not directly attached to the motherboard.
>
> Any ideas on where to start investigating?
>
> As a side question, when I look in system-config-network, I've got a
> device called pan0. I don't recall it being there, but it may have
> been there and I just didn't notice it. I'm not using NetworkManager
> as I've found it can just cause problems. Maybe I could give it a go
> anyway but I suspect the problem is deeper than that.
>
> Thanks, Chris.

You may want to use ethtool to check the status of the NIC. It
sounds like the link detect is not working. I can not remember off
hand how to disable link-detect, but I know there used to be a way
to turn it off. (The system will not longer try to detect if the NIC
is connected...)

It is possible that the USB problem sent a spike to other parts of
the motherboard when you shorted it out.

Mikkel