Samba and printer question.

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Tue Jan 20 20:24:46 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
>
>> Maybe I was littlebit unclear. Setup is so that Printer is connected to
>> my F10 machine and shared to network trough samba running on that
>> machine. Then I will try to use my Vista laptop to access thar printer
>> share. This point I get error on vista that it's unable to connect the
>> printer. Printer works fine on Linux.
>>
>> Normal file shares work without a problem from that server so user and
>> so on is setup correctly. Most probably problem is either in samba
>> access permissions on the Linux or between samba and cups. (So probably
>> in either case I just don't get the config right.)
>>
>> Veli-Pekka
>>

> Now I understand. From what I have read, the SMB protocol used by
> Vista is a little different, and Samba is not fully compatible with
> it. You are better off using IPP to connect to CUPS with Vista. If
> you can, try connecting from a system running XP and see if the
> Samba connection works for you. That should tell you if it is a
> Vista problem.
>
> Mikkel

That's what I have read also but originally people had problems with
fileshares, which now seem to work quite well. Seems that the printer
code isn't vista compatible yet. That's was mostly reason I asked as I
didn't find any solutions when searching and trying one evening getting
it working myself instead of doing my math execises. :)

Have to test kvm and install xp or 2003 server and see if they have
issues with printing. It's allways nicer to be able to say someone that
something isn't supported than just having to say that don't know how to
do it.

Thanks for your help,
Veli-Pekka