Samba and printer question.

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Tue Jan 20 20:41:06 UTC 2009

JD wrote:
> [hp deskjet 5600]
>   printer = raw
>   comment = HP DeskJet 5600
>   path = /var/spool/samba
>   browseable = yes
>   printer name = hpdj-5650w
> # Set public = yes IF you want to allow user 'guest' to print
>   guest ok = no
>   writable = no
>   printable = yes
>   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -Phpdj-5650w %s
>   lpq command = lpq -Phpdj-5650w
>   lprm command = lprm -Phpdj-5650w %j
>   lpstat command = /usr/bin/lpstat -t
> #Required for XP?
> ;   use client driver = yes
>
> All worked as expected.

Did it also work on vista? Or just from linux or win xp machine. Another
thing is that the printer is allready set in cups and samba should
automaticly make working the printer share. It actually makes the share
and I can see it from my windows machine after logging in to samba
server, can also access files shared on normal fileshare like users home
directory.

Your solution is nice, but it goes past the cups which isn't very
elegant even if it's working correctly. And one to try if the share
still doesn't work in windows xp in addition to vista as there was some
changes to smb-protocol in vista. I Have found some people complaining
about same problem, but haven't find any solutions yet. Which was why I
asked in the list if someone else would have encountered it and maybe
found some other workaround than just using cups directly.

Greetings,
Veli-Pekka