Samba and printer question.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 20:58:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Veli-Pekka Kestilä <fedora at guagua.fi> wrote:
> JD wrote:
>>
>> [hp deskjet 5600]
>>  printer = raw
>>  comment = HP DeskJet 5600
>>  path = /var/spool/samba
>>  browseable = yes
>>  printer name = hpdj-5650w
>> # Set public = yes IF you want to allow user 'guest' to print
>>  guest ok = no
>>  writable = no
>>  printable = yes
>>  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -Phpdj-5650w %s
>>  lpq command = lpq -Phpdj-5650w
>>  lprm command = lprm -Phpdj-5650w %j
>>  lpstat command = /usr/bin/lpstat -t
>> #Required for XP?
>> ;   use client driver = yes
>>
>> All worked as expected.
>>
> Did it also work on vista? Or just from linux or win xp machine. Another
> thing is that the printer is allready set in cups and samba should
> automaticly make working the printer share. It actually makes the share and
> I can see it from my windows machine after logging in to samba server, can
> also access files shared on normal fileshare like users home directory.
>
> Your solution is nice, but it goes past the cups which isn't very elegant
> even if it's working correctly. And one to try if the share still doesn't
> work in windows xp in addition to vista as there was some changes to
> smb-protocol in vista. I Have found some people complaining about same
> problem, but haven't find any solutions yet. Which was why I asked in the
> list if someone else would have encountered it and maybe found some other
> workaround than just using cups directly.
>
> Greetings,
> Veli-Pekka

I have found that I need the "use client driver = yes" option enabled
for my wife's XP laptop to print correctly. Additionally, I don't
remember the exact details but sometimes just because a windows
computer gets "Access Denied" when trying to look at the print queue
it will still print fine, but that may not have anything to do with
your specific problem.

Richard