updateing ARGHH.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jan 21 20:18:49 UTC 2009

Here is a copy of my post. I guess I could have been more specific
about the dangers. I did a second post in response to Craig that
went into more detail.

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> From: Michael Comperchio <mcmprch at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: updateing ARGHH.
>

> Ok so here's what 'yum' thinks...
>> > ffmpeg-libs-0.4.9-0.52.20080908.fc10.i386 : Libraries for ffmpeg
>> > Repo        : installed
>> > Matched from:
>> > Other       : Provides-match: libavcodec.so.51
>>I'm just not the sharpest tool in the shed I guess 'cuz I'm stumped....
>
> I've been ARGGHH'd too. Try a 'rpm --force install ffmpeglibs...rpm' etc.
>
> This is effectively a re-install of the rpm *and* updates the meta-data.
> (And doesn't attempt, like 'yum remove', to remove every package which
> depends upon the one being (re)installed,
>
> Geoff

"--force" is a bit of overkill here. All you should need is
"--replacepkgs". The "--replacefiles" option that is part of the
"--force" options can turn around a bite you if you are not careful.

On the other hand, if there are still dependencies problems,
"--force" is not going to help with that.

One final note - the format is "rpm -i --replacepkgs <rpms>" - if
you try to use install it is going to treat install as an rpm to be
installed. (You can use --install) Personally, I like to use -ivh
when installing, so I can see what is going on...

Mikkel
--

Registered Linux User #16148  (http://counter.li.org/)