source RPMs and updating

brian fedora at logi.ca
Thu Jan 22 03:30:28 UTC 2009

I've built my own Postfix package from SRPM and have recently updated
it. To do so, I used the newer SRPM and repeated the process.

But, I'm wondering if, once a package has been built, can it be updated
using a pre-built RPM without losing the specs used to build the
original? Or, will the newer RPM simply override everything according to
how it was built?

Just to clarify, the original built-from-source package was:
postfix-2.5.1-1.sasl2.spf.fc8.i386.rpm

I downloaded a newer SRPM, built and installed:
postfix-2.5.6-1.sasl2.spf.fc8.i386.rpm

But, could I have simply done:

rpm -Uvh postfix-2.5.6-1.fc8.i386.rpm

... and had rpm take care to install in the same manner as was the
original SRPM?