updateing ARGHH.

Michael Comperchio mcmprch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:13:53 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Michael Comperchio wrote:
>
>> When I run the 'Update System' 'cuz it's telling me I have updates... I
>> get the following errors:
>>
>> libavcodec.so.51 is needed by package gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.5-1.fc10.i386
>> libavcodec.so.51 is needed by package
>> xine-lib-extras-freeworld-1.1.16-1.fc10.i386
>> libavcodec.so.51 is needed by package
>> k3b-extras-freeworld-1.0.5-4.fc10.i386 : Success - empty transaction
>>
>> and the update fails. Unfortunately for the silly updater...I HAVE that
>> file install in /usr/lib... in fact I have .51 .51.71 and .52 installed
>> ... what's up?
>>
>> TIA
>> Michael
>>

> It is telling you that it could not update libavcodec because it is
> needed by those packages.
>
> Mikkel

Well,  I decided to use KDE as my desktop and finally figured out what
was broke. I had no music playback! So I played and thought and played
and thought finally decided to uninstall the packages that seemed (from
the conflict error messages) to conflict. libavutil49 was the culprit.
After yum remove that I was able to yum install the xine* k3b* and
gstreamer* that I had removed. Those installations seemed to add back in
what I had removed with libav*.

I'm still going back to GNOME though. I can't really give a reason. I
like some of the KDE apps. KWord is perfect for my needs. OpenOffice
doesn't render stuff correctly on my display/video combination (GeForce
440/Compaq monitor)  and I prefer Dolphin to Nautilus. But they run on
GNOME so no problem

Thanks again for all the help guys....

Happy Feet
Michael