Kernel doesn't see battery on Dell Inspiron 6400

Culapov Andrei andrei2102 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:37:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> I revived this laptop by giving it a hard drive transplant, then loading F10
> on it. Everything works, except for the battery meter. The kernel does not
> see the laptop's battery, and complains thusly:
>
> ACPI: AC Adapter [AC] (on-line)
> ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery absent)
>
> The battery is there. Although it's weak, and doesn't last long, it's there
> and it's functional.
>
> If anyone has a working battery meter on this laptop, most likely using some
> ACPI kernel command line-fu, I'd like to know.

I have a working dell 6400 with F10  installed and I didn't had
problems with the batery. No special tweeks, it worked out of the box.

ACPI: AC Adapter [AC] (on-line)
ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery present)

I have problems with the media buttons. I can't get them working. On
F7 worked after I selected the proper keyboard.