network traffic analyzer

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Jan 23 16:15:07 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: network traffic analyzer
From: Peter Larsen <plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora.
<fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 01/23/2009 06:44 AM

> For a single box, ntop is what you're looking for. Be forewarned though
> - traceing ALL packages (which ntop will do) takes a lot of disk-space.
> Your /var will grow considerable. But the stats are very very nice!
>
> Well, you wanted detailed graphs? I would exactly call the output pretty
> but it's there, sorted all kinds of ways.

ntop takes *minutes* to load its web pages on my 1.4ghz Pentium 3
Tualatin server. I'm looking at overall processor usage and it's ~90% idle.

> Web <> realtime unless you run applets of some kind. But it'll get close
> enough. Otherwise, why not look for a real network management solution
> like nagious? They'll give you interface traffic on all your equipment.
> Usually I track traffic accross the network; not just on a single host.

nagious is way too much for what I want. I only have three hosts on the
LAN side, but my server is an actual web server with thousands of views
a day. I don't care about the stuff nagious presents. I only want real
time, such as darkstat's real time view, throughput measurement.

I guess I'll have to make my own if there are no other ideas.

Thanks.